Professor, Space Science and Aerospace Engineering; Associate Dean for Entrepreneurship
- (734) 647-6835
- (734) 615-9723
Ph.D., M.S., University of Bern
Solar and Heliospheric Physics, Experimental Space Research
If it's not exploration or innovation, I am usually not too interested in getting involved... But, if I can be part of a team that takes it to the next level, that will not back off in the face of challenges or adversity, that's when I get really, really excited...
Check out my blog at: http://cfe.engin.umich.edu/blog/
Specializations and Research Interests
- Advance our understanding of the space environment and its behavior.
- Developing and analyzing space mission architectures for various exploration and commercial applications.
- Developing new space instruments to explore these space plasmas
- Exploring and fabricating new particle detectors and instrument technologies suitable for such instruments.
- Transfer technologies to industry in the form of patents, or by supporing or participating in innovative startup companies.
- Developing and investigating new theoretical and predictive model of the space environment, including:
- Solar wind acceleration
- Formation and properties of solar wind magnetic field
- Propagation and acceleration of energetic particles
- Developing new theoretical concepts and experimental exploration methods of interaction between heliosphere and local interstellar medium
Honors, Awards and Accomplishments
- Recipient, Presidential Early Career for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE) Award
- Recipient, Young Researcher Award, Swiss National Science Foundation
- Leading data analysis of active missions and of hardware development efforts, Solar and Heliospheric Research Group
- Participant, development, construction and calibration of several flight instruments (IND, ACE and SOHO)
- Leading data analysis projects finding new applications for composition data, most recently as method to trace matter through the magnetosphere
- Author or Coauthor, 150+ articles in refereed journals on solar and heliospheric phenomena
- Director, Center for Entrepreneurship, College of Engineering.
- Part of two standing committees of the National Academy, science and technology definition teams of new NASA missions.
- Invited speaker, over 50 international conferences and colloquia in many leading Universities and Research Institutions