Composer / Intermedia Artist
[ Link to website ]
M.A., Media Arts, University of Michigan
B.A., Performing Arts Technology, University of Michigan
Data Sonification Specialist, Solar Heliospheric Research Group
Specializations and Research Interests
My research lies at the intersection of technology and creativity. As a Design Science Ph.D candidate, I am working to construct software interfaces for exploring scientific data in new ways. The core of my research lies in data sonfication with the Solar Heliospheric Research Group. Sonification is a process through which any kind of non-auditory data is translated as sound. We're transforming space data into the sonic realm such that we can gain a new perspective, and begin to ask new questions.
Honors, Awards and Accomplishments
- NASA-Harriett G. Jenkins Pre-doctoral Fellowship Project (JPFP) Award
- International Community for Auditory Display: Outstanding Achievement Award
- CEDO Ph.D. Candidate Achievement Award.
- University of Michigan Dean's Named Fellowship 2010-2011
- Imagine Science Films, Artist in Residence 2011
- MiND Ensemble Director 2010-2011
- Yahoo! Campus Innovations Award
- Yahoo! Boost Award
- Rackham Summer Research Grant, 2011
- Computer Music Instructor, Interlochen Youth Arts Camp, Summer 2009-2010
VICE Documentary: Using the Sun to Make Music
TEDx Presentation: Two Turn Tables and a Satellite
Scientific American: Hearing Astronomical Data Can Lead to Scientific Insights
Michigan Engineering: Listening to Solar Storms
Scienceline: Listening to the Sun on a Loop
IEEE Earthzine: Sonification: Data like you've never heard before
- Alexander, R. L., S. O'Modhrain, D. A. Roberts, J. A. Gilbert, and T. H. Zurbuchen (2014), The Bird's Ear View of Space Physics: Audification as a Tool for the Spectral Analysis of Time Series Data, Journal of Geophysical Research: Space Physics, 2014JA020025, doi:10.1002/2014JA020025.<
- Alexander, R. L., S. O'Modhrain, J. A. Gilbert, and T. H. Zurbuchen (2014), Auditory and Visual Evaluation of Fixed-Frequency Events in Time-Varying Signals, paper presented at 20th Int. Conf. Aud. Disp (ICAD 2014), New York.
- E. Landi, R. L. Alexander, J. R. Gruesbeck, J. A. Gilbert, S. T. Lepri, W. B. Manchester and T. H. Zurbuchen, Carbon Ionization Stages as a Diagnostic of the Solar Wind (2012), The Astrophysical Journal, 744, 100.
- Alexander, R. L., O'Modhrain, S., Gilbert, J.A. Zurbuchen, T.H.T, Simoni, M. (2012). Recognition of Audified Data in Untrained Listeners. International Conference on Auditory Display. Proc. 18th Int. Conf. Aud. Disp (ICAD 2012): 135-140.
- Alexander, R. L., Gilbert, J., Landi, E., Simoni, M., Zurbuchen, T.H., Roberts, D., Audification as a Diagnostic Tool for Exploratory Heliospheric Data Analysis. (2011), Proc. 17th Int. Conf. Aud. Disp (ICAD 2011)
- Alexander, R. L., Zurbuchen, T.H., Gilbert, J, Lepri, S., Raines, J., Sonification of ACE Level 2 Solar Wind Data. (2010), Proc. 16th Int. Conf. Aud. Disp (ICAD 2010), 39-40
- Alexander, R. L., Umbaugh, J., Turley, P. A Demonstration of Algorithmic Music Composition in the Noteworks Software Platform. (2010), Proc. 16th Int. Conf. Aud. Disp (ICAD 2010)