[ Download CV ]
Michael W. Liemohn
Phone: (734) 763-6229
Fax: (734) 647-3083
Ph.D., M.S., Atmospheric and Space Science, University of Michigan, 1997
Plasma transport in the ionosphere and magnetosphere of the Earth and other solar system bodies
Prospective PhD students: I typically have 3 or 4 PhD students at any one time, which means that I take a new grad student most years. My current projects span global magnetospheric magnetospheric dynamics, energetic particle transport, and MI-coupling for the space environments of both Earth and Mars.
Specializations and Research Interests
- Energetic particle transport in the Earth's inner magnetosphere
- Electron and ion transport in the Mars space environment
- Kinetic theory and modeling
- Interactions between hot and cold plasma components
- Plasmaspheric dynamics and modeling
- Ring current dynamics and modeling
- Global magnetospheric dynamics and modeling
- Mars pick-up ion sources, motion, and fate
- Solar wind and photoelectrons in the strong crustal field region of Mars
- Plasma wave excitation and wave-particle interactions
Honors, Awards and Accomplishments
- PhD committees chaired or co-chaired: 5 successfully defended (Xiaohua Fang, Jichun Zhang, Xia Cai, Raluca Ilie, and Shannon Curry) and 4 in progress (Roxanne Katus, Blake Johnson, Shaosui Xu, and Lois Smith)
- Outstanding Research Scientist Award, University of Michigan, 2002
- Awarded National Research Council Resident Research Associateship at the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
- Awarded NASA Graduate Student Research Fellowship
- Outstanding Student Paper Award, American Geophysical Union
- Refereed papers for leading peer-reviewed journals in space science and proposals for many agencies
- JGR-Space Physics Editor-in-Chief, December 2013 - present
- JGR-Space physics website: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/%28ISSN%292169-9402
- AGU Journals website: http://publications.agu.org/journals/
- JGR-Space Physics blog: http://liemohnjgrspace.wordpress.com/
- NSF GEM Strategic Planning White Paper Task Force, 2012 - 2013
- NAS/NRC Decadal Strategy for Solar and Space Physics, SWMI Panel and Education Working Group, 2010-2011
- Chair, NSF GEM Steering Committee, 2009 - 2011
- NASA Living With a Star TR&T Steering Committee, 2007 - 2009
- Chair, NASA Geospace Management and Operations Working Group (G-MOWG), 2005 - 2007
- Research Area Coordinator, NSF GEM Program, Inner magnetoshpere/Storms Campaign, 2003 - 2009
- Chair, AOSS Graduate Program committee, 2009 - 2010
- Chair, Graduate student recruitment committee, AOSS Department, 2006 - 2012
As of August 2013, author or co-author of 134 peer-reviewed publications in print, press, or submitted (46 first author) and 419 scientific presentations (70 invited).
Please see my CV (link above) or my detailed work website (also a link above) for more information about my publications and research activities.
My ISI Web of Science ResearcherID number is H-8703-2012.
My ORCID number is 0000-0002-7039-2631.