[ Download CV ]
Michael W. Liemohn
Phone: (734) 763-6229
Fax: (734) 647-3083
Ph.D., M.S., Atmospheric and Space Science, University of Michigan, 1997
Plasma transport in the ionosphere and magnetosphere of the Earth and other solar system bodies
Prospective PhD students: I typically have 3 or 4 PhD students at any one time, which means that I take a new grad student most years. My current projects span global magnetospheric magnetospheric dynamics, energetic particle transport, and MI-coupling for the space environments of both Earth and Mars.
Specializations and Research Interests
- Energetic particle transport in the Earth's inner magnetosphere
- Electron and ion transport in the Mars space environment
- Kinetic theory and modeling
- Interactions between hot and cold plasma components
- Plasmaspheric dynamics and modeling
- Ring current dynamics and modeling
- Global magnetospheric dynamics and modeling
- Mars pick-up ion sources, motion, and fate
- Solar wind and photoelectrons in the strong crustal field region of Mars
- Plasma wave excitation and wave-particle interactions
Honors, Awards and Accomplishments
- PhD committees chaired or co-chaired: 6 successfully defended (Xiaohua Fang, Jichun Zhang, Xia Cai, Raluca Ilie, Shannon Curry, and Roxanne Katus) and 3 in progress (Blake Johnson, Shaosui Xu, and Lois Smith)
- Outstanding Research Scientist Award, University of Michigan, 2002
- Awarded National Research Council Resident Research Associateship at the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
- Refereed papers for leading peer-reviewed journals in space science and proposals for many agencies
- JGR-Space Physics Editor-in-Chief, December 2013 - present
- JGR-Space physics website: http://preview.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/agu/journal/10.1002/%28ISSN%292169-9402/
- AGU Journals website: http://publications.agu.org/journals/
- JGR-Space Physics blog: http://liemohnjgrspace.wordpress.com/
- NSF GEM Strategic Planning White Paper Task Force, 2012 - 2013
- NAS/NRC Decadal Strategy for Solar and Space Physics, SWMI Panel and Education Working Group, 2010-2011
- Chair, NSF GEM Steering Committee, 2009 - 2011
- NASA Living With a Star TR&T Steering Committee, 2007 - 2009
- Chair, NASA Geospace Management and Operations Working Group (G-MOWG), 2005 - 2007
- Research Area Coordinator, NSF GEM Program, Inner magnetoshpere/Storms Campaign, 2003 - 2009
- Chair, AOSS Graduate Program committee, 2009 - 2010
- Chair, Graduate student recruitment committee, AOSS Department, 2006 - 2012
As of March 2014, author or co-author of 141 peer-reviewed publications in print, press, or submitted (47 first author) and 435 scientific presentations (73 invited).
Please see my CV (link above) for more information about my publications and research activities.
My ISI Web of Science ResearcherID number is H-8703-2012.
My ORCID number is 0000-0002-7039-2631.