[ Download CV ]
Office: 1520 Space Research Building
Phone: (734) 763-6239
Fax: (734) 936-0503
[ Link to website ]
Ph.D., M.S., Chemistry, Carnegie-Mellon University B.S., Hampden-Sydney College
Computational chemical kinetics and dynamics
Specializations and Research Interests
- Atmospheric Chemistry
- Master equation modeling (MultiWell Program Suite computer codes)
- Chemical-dynamical modeling of elementary reactions
- Fundamental studies of molecular energy transfer
Honors, Awards and Accomplishments
- Visiting Scholar as a guest of the Institute of Theoretical Chemistry, State Key Laboratory of Theoretical and Computational Chemistry, Jilin University, Changchun, China (July 1-31, 2008)
- AOSS Outstanding Achievement Award (2006)
- AOSS Department Excellence in Teaching Award (1993, 1997)
- Co-organizer of the Workshop on Large Molecule Energy Transfer (Adelaide, Australia 1996)
- Host of the 19th Informal Conference on Photochemistry (Ann Arbor, 1990)
- H. Julian Allen Award (1986): An originator (with Louis J. Allamandola and A. G. G. M. Tielens) of the "PAH Hypothesis" — that polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon species are abundant in the interstellar medium and in the outflows from carbon-rich stars
- co-Editor, Advances in Chemistry of the Contemporary Atmosphere (World Scientific; first volume expected in 2015)
- Member, NASA/JPL Panel for Data Evaluation (Atmospheric Chemistry and Photochemistry)
- American Physical Society
- American Chemical Society
- American Geophysical Union
- Ralph E. Weston, Jr., Thanh Lam Nguyen, John F. Stanton, and John R. Barker, "HO + CO Reaction Rates and H/D Kinetic Isotope Effects: Master Equation Models with ab Initio SCTST Rate Constants", J. Phys. Chem. A 117, 821−835 (2013).
- J. R. Barker, J. R., T. L. Nguyen, and J. F. Stanton, "Ab Initio Kinetic Isotope Effects for Cl + CH4 Computed Using Semi-Classical Transition State Theory", J. Phys. Chem. A, 116, 6408−6419 (2012).
- Nguyen, T.L., J.F. Stanton, and J.R. Barker (2010), A Practical Implementation of Semi-Classical Transition State Theory for Polyatomics, Chem. Phys. Letters, 499, 9-15.
- David M. Golden and John R. Barker, "Pressure- and Temperature-Dependent Combustion Reactions", Combust. Flame, 158, 602–617 (2011)
- Nguyen, T.L., and J.R. Barker (2010), Sums and Densities of Fully-Coupled Anharmonic Vibrational States: A Comparison of Three Practical Methods, J. Phys. Chem. A., 114, 3718–3730.
- Barker, J.R., and R.E. Weston (2010), Jr., Collisional Energy Transfer Probability Densities P(E,J;E',J') for Monatomics Colliding with Large Molecules, J. Phys. Chem. A, 114, 10619–10633.
- Maranzana, A., J. R. Barker, and G. Tonachini (2007), Master Equation Simulations of Competing Unimolecular and Bimolecular Reactions: Application to OH Production in the Reaction of Acetyl Radical with O2, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 9, 4129 - 4141.
- Barker, J. R., L. L. Lohr, R. M. Shroll, and S. Reading (2003), Modeling the Organic Nitrate Yields in the Reaction of Alkyl Peroxy Radicals with Nitric Oxide. II. Reaction Simulations, J. Phys. Chem. A., 107, 7434-7444.
- Barker, J. R., L. M. Yoder, and K. D. King (2001), Feature Article: Vibrational Energy Transfer Modeling of Non-Equilibrium Polyatomic Reaction Systems, J. Phys. Chem. A, 105, 796-809.
- Barker, J. R. (2001), Multiple-well, multiple-reaction-path unimolecular reaction systems. I. MultiWell computer program suite, Int. J. Chem. Kinetics, 33, 232-245.