- 2517D SRB
- [ Link to website ]
Ph.D., Atmospheric Science, Colorado State University
M.S., Atmospheric Science, University of Wisconsin-Madison
B.S., Atmospheric Science, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Climate change effects on clouds and precipitation; clouds and precipitation associated with tropical convective cloud clusters and midlatitude cyclones; assimilation of cloud and precipitation data into mesoscale and cloud scale numerical models; nonlinear inverse problem theory; model error analysis
Specializations and Research Interests
- Climate change effects on clouds and precipitation
- Distribution of clouds and precipitation in tropical convective cloud clusters and midlatitude cyclones
- Assimilation of cloud and precipitation data into mesoscale and cloud scale numerical models
- Model error analysis: uncertainty inherent in model physics parameterizations
- Nonlinear inverse problem theory
Honors, Awards and Accomplishments
- Cover Article, Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, May 2008.
- First Place Student Poster Competition, AMS Annual Meeting
- Center for Earth-Atmosphere Studies Fellowship, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center and Colorado State University
- NCAR Advanced Studies Program Summer Colloquium (Data Assimilation)
- NATO Advanced Studies Institute (Data Assimilation)
- Participant in the first Pacific THORPEX Operations Science Test observation campaign, Honolulu
- Participant in the International H2O Project field experiment
- American Meteorological Society Satellite Meteorology and Oceanography Committee (2010 - 2013)
- Reviewer for: Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, Monthly Weather Review, Journal of Climate, Journal of Geophysical Research, Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, Climate Dynamics, Atmospheric Research
- Member of the American Meteorological Society
- Member of the American Geophysical Union
Posselt, D. J., 2013: Markov chain Monte Carlo Methods: Theory and Applications. Data Assimilation for Atmospheric, Oceanic and Hydrologic Applications, 2nd Ed. S. K. Park and L. Xu, Eds., Springer. In Press.
Wright, D. M., D. J. Posselt, and A. L. Steiner, 2013: Sensitivity of Lake-Effect Snowfall to Lake Ice Cover and Temperature in the Great Lakes Region. Mon. Wea. Rev., In Press. (Link to Early Online Release)
van Lier-Walqui, M., T. Vukicevic, and D. J. Posselt, 2012: Quantification of Cloud Microphysical Parameterization Uncertainty using Radar Reflectivity, Mon. Wea. Rev., 140, 3442-3466 (Link to PDF).
Posselt, D. J., A. R. Jongeward, C.-Y. Hsu, and G. L. Potter, 2012: Object-Based Evaluation of MERRA-Simulated Cloud Physical Properties and Radiative Fluxes during the 1998 El Nino - La Nina Transition. J. Climate, 25, 7313-7327. (Link to PDF)
Naud, C. M., D. J. Posselt, and S. C. van den Heever, 2012: Observational analysis of cloud and precipitation in midlatitude cyclones: northern versus southern hemisphere warm fronts.J. Climate, 25, 5135-5151.(Link to PDF)
Posselt, D. J., and C. H. Bishop, 2012: Nonlinear parameter estimation: Comparison of an Ensemble Kalman Smoother with a Markov chain Monte Carlo algorithm. Mon. Wea. Rev., 140, 1957-1974. (Link to PDF)
Posselt, D. J., S. C. van den Heever, G. L. Stephens, and M. Igel, 2012: Changes in the interaction between tropical convection, radiation, and the large scale circulation in a warming environment. J. Climate, 35, 557-571.
Posselt, D. J., and T. Vukicevic, 2010: Robust Characterization of Model Physics Uncertainty for Simulations of Deep Moist Convection. Mon. Wea. Rev., 138, 1513–1535. (Link to PDF)
Posselt, D. J., T. S. L'Ecuyer, and G L. Stephens (2008), Exploring the Error Characteristics of Thin Ice Cloud Property Retrievals Using a Markov Chain Monte Carlo Algorithm, J. Geophys. Res., 113, D24206, doi:10.1029/2008JD010832. (Link to PDF)
Vukicevic, T., and D. J. Posselt, 2008: Analysis of the Impact of Model Nonlinearities in Inverse Problem Solving. J. Atmos. Sci., 65, 2803-2823. (Link to PDF)
Posselt, D. J., G. L. Stephens, and M. Miller, 2008: CloudSat: Adding a New Dimension to a Classical View of Extratropical Cyclones. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 89, 599-609. (Link to PDF)
Posselt, D. J., S. C. van den Heever, and G L. Stephens (2008), Trimodal cloudiness and tropical stable layers in simulations of radiative convective equilibrium, Geophys. Res. Lett., 35, L08802, doi:10.1029/2007GL033029. (Link to PDF)
Otkin, J. A., D. J. Posselt, E. R. Olson, H.-L. Huang, J. E. Davies, J. Li, and C. S. Velden, 2007: Mesoscale Numerical Weather Prediction Models Used in Support of Infrared Hyperspectral Measurements Simulation and Product Algorithm Development. J. Atmos. Ocn. Tech., 24, 585-601.
Posselt, D. J., and J. E. Martin, 2004: The Effect of Latent Heat Release on the Evolution of a Warm Occluded Thermal Structure. Mon. Wea. Rev., 132, 578-599. (Link to PDF)
Huang, H.-L., D. C. Tobin, J. Li, E. R. Olson, K. Baggett, B. Huang, J. Mecikalski, R. O. Knuteson, B. Osborne, D. Posselt, P. B. Antonelli, H. E. Revercomb, W. L. Smith, and P. Yang, 2003: Hyperspectral radiance simulator: cloudy radiance modeling and beyond., Proc. SPIE 4891, 180 (2003), DOI:10.1117/12.466054